Saturday, October 4, 2008

Why Should I be Numero Uno

Numero Uno to me is an ideology that is founded on three main pillars. Firstly, and most obviously, being the best at what you do. Secondly, achieving excellence not only in one sphere of life but also in the multiple dimensions that make it complete. Thirdly, and most importantly it is about being the leader, about taking charge, about paving new ways and about setting a precedent.
I believe that I have done reasonably well for myself. I have the honour of writing the letters FMS next to my name. I have just completed my internship at one of world’s largest and most respected private equity fund – DE Shaw. I was the only student in my batch to be awarded the prestigious O.P. Jindal Management Scholarship. I was a rank holder in my studies in Economics at the undergraduate level. I won the Excellence Award in the year of my graduation from school. I have set up a company and a social service organization of my own, both of which are successful – one of which I continue to manage.
Experiences, I believe make a man and I have lived that motto to the hilt. Apart from my academics, along with 5 classmates I founded a social service organization, AASRA, in my undergrad which worked for the relief of tsunami victims and engaged in projects to spread awareness among the youth on issues of child labour and AIDS. I am an active debater at national and international debates and was the general secretary of my college debating society. I founded the Alumni association in my college and it now celebrates its 4th year of existence under a new student team each year. While in FMS I started a company, ‘Studio Nine’, which while I am a finance major is in the marketing domain revolving around branding and merchandising.
I would like to believe that I have taken a different path, taken charge and displayed leadership skills time and again – whether it is the 2 organizations that I formed, the social service organization which worked with a volunteer strength of 80 or it is the 500 member strong alumni association which was conceptualized and created from scratch. In both these cases I believe that I have not only but set the bar higher for myself but also strived to set a precedent.
I believe that it is not only a combination of these achievements, but the means to attain them that prepares me to face some of the toughest and most competent competitors at ‘Numero Uno’ and gives me the capabilities to face the challenges and do my best to stand apart.

No comments: